So I've taking some time to digest this draft and you know what...it really wasn't that great of a draft class. There was some value to be had in Rounds 2-5 but other than that I'm completely underwhelmed. As a whole I think every teams draft grade is going to be lower than in years past. If there was ever a year to trade down or trade for future picks this was it.
Before we dig into the grades there has been a lot of discussion about the new format of the draft. My take, I didn't like it. The later started time allowed time for WAYYYYYYYY to many leaks. We shouldn't know the top 4 picks hours before the draft. Where's the excitement if your a Jet fan seeing if McFadden will fall? I don't know how I feel about the shorter time between picks. I think we saw more trades because of the limited time, there was less time for B.S.. I think though with the 10 minutes it almost went too fast at times. Picks happened so quickly at points you couldn't really digest everything. I think the Draft still needs some tweaking I just don't know how.
And now on to the Buffalo Bills Draft Grade.
Everyone and their mother expected the Bills to go WR early. Well what we didn't expect was that NO NFL TEAM had a first round grade on any of the WR's in the draft.
With their first pick (11) the Bills selected CB Leodis McKelvin. He has great speed, size, cover skills and he's also a dangerous return man. With this pick the Bills addressed a big need and got an exceptional value. A-
With their second round pick (41) the Bills addressed their need for a big WR by drafting James Hardy. While Hardy at this spot was a good value and hit their need for a big possession guy to play alongside speedster Lee Evans he comes with many red flags. He was inconsistent in college and doesn't always adjust his body well to the ball. He seems to rely more on his size/athleticism to bring down balls than proper technique. Besides the on field questions, he has a decorated rap sheet of off the field issues. Indiana suspended him for two games for an off-the-field incident in 2006 and character is somewhat of a concern. With Sweed still on the board I have to question their decision to guy with the guy who's a much bigger gamble. B-
3 9(72) Chris Ellis DE VIRGINIA TECH
An undersized pass rushing end. Might have to be relegated to a situational role. He also has character issues. Suspended in 2006 after he was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and obstructing justice. So this is questionable character guy number two. The one thing I like about Ellis is than unlike a lot of other college players he was productive in school. C+
4 15(114) Reggie Corner CB AKRON
Buffalo did need depth at Corner but this pick was a reach. Though Corner has an awesome name he doesn't have top notch measurables. He's small and has trouble with bigger WR's. He projects at best as nickel guy. He might not have the physical stature to make it in the league. I would have rather rolled the dice with a guy who might be able to make an impact but is more boom or a bust than a guy with such a low ceiling. D
4 33(132) Derek Fine TE KANSAS
Small for a tight end. Could carve out a Ben Utech type role but for a run first team a receiving tight end doesn't make sense. Scott Wright had him as the 19th best tight end in the draft. F
5 12(147) Alvin Bowen OLB IOWA STATE
Undersized. However this is the right defense (Cover Two) to give him a chance to succeed. Might not be able to be an every down player and has to contribute on special teams to make the roster. C-
6 13(179) Xavier Omon RB NW MISSOURI ST
Speed is an issue. The team already had several running backs in the fold. Didn't like this pick. If they moved him to fullback I would feel better about this pick. C
7 12(219) Demetrius Bell OT NORTHWESTERN ST
Small school developmental guy who has the tools to start. Can't ask for much else in the 7th round. B+
7 17(224) Steve Johnson WR KENTUCKY
Has a Wes Welker in him. Pretty good value in the 7th round. B+
7 44(251) Kennard Cox CB PITTSBURGH
Needs to produce on special teams to make the roster. C
OVERALL GRADE: B-
I liked McKelvin and Hardy and they both addressed needs. The middle of the draft (Ellis, Corner, Fine) was suspect but they were able to grab some intriguing guys in the 6/7th round.
An overall grade isn't based on an average. Remember the picks have to be weighted accrodingly to round and so on.
No comments:
Post a Comment